Southern biscuits and gravy is a classic breakfast dish that has been a staple in the southern United States for centuries. It’s a simple yet delicious dish that consists of warm, flaky biscuits smothered in a creamy gravy made from pan drippings and milk or cream.SAVE ON SELECT CUTLERY
Flash Sale! Save $100 OFF 11-Cup Food Processor with ExactSlice™ System
Mother's Day Sale! Get $130 Off Deluxe 4.5 Quart Tilt-Head Stand Mixer
The key to making great biscuits and gravy is in the quality of the ingredients and the technique used to prepare them. For the biscuits, you want to use a flour that has a high protein content, such as all-purpose flour or bread flour, which will give your biscuits the structure they need to rise and hold their shape.
When making the gravy, start by cooking your breakfast sausage in a skillet until it’s browned and crispy, using a wooden spoon to break it up into small pieces as it cooks. Once the sausage is cooked, remove it from the pan and set it aside, leaving the drippings in the skillet.
Add flour to the skillet and whisk it into the sausage drippings to create a roux. Cook the roux until it’s golden brown and fragrant, then slowly pour in milk or cream while whisking continuously to create a smooth gravy. Finally, add the cooked sausage back into the pan and season the gravy with salt and pepper to taste.
To serve, split open warm biscuits and spoon the gravy over the top. The result is a rich and satisfying breakfast that’s perfect for a lazy weekend morning or a special occasion. So if you’re looking for a taste of the south, try making some biscuits and gravy today!
Ingredients for biscuits:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
Ingredients for gravy:
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions for biscuits:
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut the cold butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add buttermilk and stir until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead briefly until it comes together.
- Roll the dough out to about 1/2-inch thickness.
- Use a biscuit cutter or a floured glass to cut out biscuits and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Instructions for gravy:
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until browned and crumbled, stirring frequently.
- Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside, leaving the drippings in the pan.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk flour into the drippings to make a roux.
- Cook the roux, whisking constantly, for about 1-2 minutes until it turns a light brown color.
- Gradually whisk in milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook the gravy, stirring constantly, until it thickens to your desired consistency.
- Return sausage to the pan and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve biscuits warm with gravy spooned over the top. Enjoy!
Shop Online at the Official Site of KitchenAid.com
Check Out Culinary Depot's Classy And Sturdily Built Furniture!