THE BEST southern baked mac and cheese that you’ll never forget.
Ahh, mac and cheese. The ultimate comfort food. I’ve probably tasted hundreds of different recipes at this point, and they each have their own unique flavor depending on the different cheeses, herbs, crust, and cooking method. This southern baked mac and cheese has its own unique flavor
Best Cheese for Baked Mac and Cheese
This recipe SCREAMS sharp cheddar. Sharp cheddar is my favorite type of cheese and always will be; however, there is a method to my madness. Cheddar has a high-moisture content, meaning their proteins are loosely packed with pockets of moisture in between them. AKA EPIC CHEESE PULL. Other tips to get that creamy, smooth texture is to bring your cheese to room temperature, use low heat while making your roux, and shred your own cheese. Don’t buy that pre-shredded mess.
Other great cheeses to include in this recipe:
- White Cheddar
- Smoked Gouda
- Colby Jack
- Pepper Jack
Mac and Cheese Pairings
- Collard Greens
- BBQ Pork Ribs
- Green Bean Casserole
- Ham Steaks
Southern Baked Mac and Cheese
- 4 cups macaroni pasta
- 1/4 cup butter unsalted
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 (12) oz cans evaporated milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
- In a cast iron skillet, add butter to hot pan and let melt.
- Gradually add flour and constantly stir with rubber spatula until it thickens and is slightly browned, about 1 minute.
- On medium heat, slowly add milk a little at a time. Simmer for about 3 minutes until mixture thickens slightly.
- Add cream cheese and 2 cups of the sharp cheddar until completely melted. Add garlic powder, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add drained pasta to cheese sauce and mix together until each piece is coated.
- Sprinkle the last cup of cheddar over top and place skillet in oven. Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired.